The best thing women can do to ensure that they have the experience they want with their breast augmentation is to prepare for their consultation. The consultation for breast augmentation surgery is where you can discuss your goals in detail with your potential surgeon and learn as much information as you can. If you are prepared to take advantage of this opportunity, you will be more likely to be fully satisfied with your experience and your results.
Information to Share
At your consultation, you should share as much relevant information as possible so that your surgeon knows your needs and desires and can determine the best way to help you. Be prepared to share the following things:
- Medical history: Previous and current medical treatments, any medical conditions, medicines and supplements, drug allergies, etc.
- Goals: Detailed expectations, desired outcome (photographs may be helpful), and why you want breast augmentation surgery
- Family health history: Specifically, any history of breast cancer
Questions to Ask
During your consultation, you should ask as many questions as you can. Ask questions along these lines:
- Which board certifications do you have?
- What are your specializations?
- What training do you have for this procedure?
- How many breast augmentation procedures have you performed?
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation?
- Are there are any factors about me and my health that could negatively affect my results?
- How can I ensure that I get the best results?
- What techniques do you recommend for my needs (incision location, implant placement)?
- What implants do you recommend for me (shape, size, texture, profile)?
- What should I expect for recovery (pain, length of time, time off work, exercise restrictions)?
- How can I ensure that I have the best recovery?
- What risks and complications could occur?
- What will you do if I experience complications?
- How will this procedure affect my ability to breastfeed or retain nipple sensation?
- Can you show me before & after photos of your current and previous patients?
- What results can I expect?
- How long will it take to see the final results?
- How will my results look over time?
- How much scarring should I expect?
- How long should my breast implants last before I may need new ones?
- Do you offer 3D imaging to help me visualize what implants would look like on me?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the results?
- How might having breast implants affect the appearance of my breasts after pregnancy and breastfeeding?
- How will undergoing this procedure affect the appearance of my breasts if I decide to have the implants removed at some point in the future?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform breast augmentation? At which hospitals?
- What will this cost me?
What to Expect
Several other things will likely happen during your consultation. Your plastic surgeon will conduct a general health evaluation as well as a detailed examination of your breasts. This examination is necessary for determining and recommending the appropriate techniques and implants for your anatomy and your goals. Photographs will be taken of your breasts and torso. Your plastic surgeon will discuss options and outcomes and will recommend a course of treatment.
While some anxiety is common before major surgery, your consultation should alleviate most (if not all) of your concerns. If you do not leave your consultation feeling comfortable and confident in your plastic surgeon, you should seek out a consultation with another plastic surgeon. After your consultation, you will know that you have selected the right surgeon for you if you feel like it’s a good fit and if the surgeon understands your goals, offers the right amount of personal care, and makes you feel confident in his or her ability to give you what you seek. The right surgeon will also help you understand what goals are realistic for your body and what will produce the best aesthetic results.
PREMIERE Center for Cosmetic Surgery offers free consultations for breast augmentation patients so that you can take full advantage of this opportunity to select the perfect surgeon for you. To schedule your complimentary consultation, call us at 813-400-1465 or complete our online contact form today.